Friday, June 26, 2009

It ain't easy being the boss...

Along with the fact that it was nearly impossible to live off my monthly disability checks in the U.S., there was another draw to life in Mexico: affordable labor. In my current condition, there is so much I can't do for myself, and, as a headstrong, independent woman, it's tough for me to say this, but "I need a lot of help." And loving help is just what I am getting here :)

Of course, it has taken us nearly a year to build our ideal labor force. I feel like a small business owner trying to recruit the most intelligent, hard-working, & loving chicas this town has to offer. Instead of running a business for profit, though, we are running a household with the focus on my healing. My doctor sister, who runs her own medical clinic, tells me it's taken her a year and a half to assemble a stellar, reliable staff. Patience & perseverance definitely pays off.

All of the girls that started with us last year are no longer working here. We didn't have any major issues with any of them – though one did steal a yoga top from me :( It was more that as the days passed, we had a better understanding of what I, and our home, really needed from the girls that work here.

First, and most important, are an open mind and a loving attitude. On top of being American foreigners, we do things quite differently from the norm—from our diet to our alternative health practices. We need girls who can step into the flow and contribute to what we are trying to accomplish here. Feelings of love & warmth help me tremendously. Due to my limited mobility, my world is limited to life in the house, and I am extremely sensitive to the vibes of those around me. One woman who worked here had ego issues often accompanying a bad attitude. We had an open, honest talk with her about improvement, but in the end, she wasn't willing to change. It became too difficult for me to be around her so she got the axe. Another girl did a fairly good job, but she was a bit of an ice queen, just in it for the paycheck. The affection and empathy I need was missing, so we let her go as well. Firing employees is no easy thing; I teared up both times, but I knew it was the right decision for us.

Second, though the work here is not hard, a degree of intelligence is required. We need employees who pay attention, learn quickly, and pick up the daily routines. I never realized how much I actually did to run our home scene until I couldn't do it anymore. Before my disability, I worked full time, practiced yoga daily, prepared our meals, shopped for groceries, and did the housework. It sounds crazy, but I actually miss housecleaning. I peacefully accept my current condition, though. As I recently told a friend, I am getting a forced vacation on the sidelines, and the time will come soon enough when I am back out on the field workin' my butt off ;)

Last, I prefer having women around me who take care of themselves and have a pleasant physical appearance. This narrowed our search to younger women, 18-21 y/o. Most women I have met in my age group (30's) are out of shape and set in their ways. We were very fortunate to find Mirna who is 34 and is determined to improve. Aside from being a highly skilled, fantastic worker, she is open to change and enthusiastically adopted our fruitarian-based diet—giving up meat & dairy. She has lost 15 lbs. in the 4+ months she's been here, and she is always eager to learn about our natural health practices. Our other two employees are 18 y/o. Though the younger ones need more guidance and discipline, they are easier to mold and to teach new skills. And they've still got their youthful glow and pretty looks :)

Being the boss has been a grand learning experience as I have always been an employee and never an employer or manager. Luckily, managerial skills come fairly easy to me. Currently, we have 3 women working for us at different times. I manage the schedules, tabulate their weekly paycheck (we pay by the hour), and delegate the different tasks. I also focus on offering constructive criticism if a mistake is made by presenting solutions versus dwelling on the error. Because I appreciate their work and feel a genuine warmth towards the women, I like to befriend them while still maintaining my position of authority. It often feels like a tricky balancing act, but I am getting the hang of it.

With the recent hires, we have a smooth-running household now with plenty of help for me. Diego is free to shop for us at the mercado daily and to run other errands, because there is always someone here with me. Like a little kid, I can't be left alone for too long :P

1 comment:

AIMEELOVESYOU said...

How are you? :)
Now tweets from you lately...

Thinking of you...
-A.